Evergreen Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Having your impacted wisdom teeth removed is a serious surgical procedure, and post-operative care is extremely important! Read on for instructions on how to care for your sore mouth, and how to minimize unnecessary pain and complications.
Immediately Following Surgery:
Keep a firm, yet gentle, bite on the gauze packs that have been placed in your mouth to keep them in place. You can remove them after an hour if the bleeding is controlled. If the surgical area continues to bleed, place new gauze for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Rinse vigorously
- Probe the area
- Smoke (hopefully you don’t!!)
- Participate in strenuous activities
- Brush gently (but not the area)
- Begin saltwater rinses 24 hours after surgery (mix 1 tbs of salt with 1 cup of water).
- Make sure to swish gently.
- These rinses should be done 2-3 times a day, especially after eating.
Enjoy Some Downtime!
Keep activity level to a minimum. Enjoy a day of couch or bed rest, as being active could result in increased bleeding. Avoid exercise for 3-4 days, and when you do begin exercising again, keep in mind your caloric intake has been reduced so you may feel weaker. There are also some diet restrictions to keep in mind!
Eat nourishing food that takes little effort.
- Extremely hot foods
- Straws (for the first few days)
- Chewing (until tongue sensation has returned)
- Smaller foods that can become stuck in the socket area
- Skipping meals—while eating may seem like a lot of work, you need your nourishment to be able to heal and feel better!
Swelling is a completely normal occurrence. Keep in mind, that swelling will usually be at its worst in the 2-3 days after surgery. You can minimize swelling by applying a cold compress (covered with a towel) firmly to the cheek next to the surgical area. Apply the pack with 20 minutes on, and 20 minutes off for the first 24-48 hours.
Since no two mouths are alike, do not take advice from friends (even well-intended advice could cause a healing setback). The advice given to you by your doctor and dental team is tailored to fit your needs. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns about your recovery. Happy healing!